Ansuz Runes team

Ansuz Runes team

Postby eldberg » Sun May 05, 2019 3:01 pm

We are team "Ansuz Runes" from club "Zemu lidojoši suņi" (Low flying dogs).
The team consists of Wunjo (F, 2013) and Berkan (M, 2016) Australian shepherds.
DiscDog sport is our activity of choice and we love it.
Here you will be able to read all about our training and results at the events.
Last edited by eldberg on Sun May 05, 2019 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eldberg

Share On

Share on Facebook Facebook Share on Twitter Twitter

Re: Ansuz Runes team

Postby eldberg » Sun May 05, 2019 5:31 pm

Our first event of the 2019 was in Lithuania, Kaunas - CrazyFOX Cup 2019, that is the first qualifying event for Dog Frisbee Baltic Series
www.discdogsport.com/viewforum.php?f=20
Of course we were to start with both of our dogs - Wunjo and Berkan.
We had started practice in late March and we actualy were in quit good shape. Open (Toss and Fecth) was the priority at training, but we also did some Bullseye and Distance training. Last year was total fail, as Wunjo scraped some points, but Berkan refused to play at all... but that was in past.
Since it was expected to be a rainy day I was to go alone (family was left home), so I invited Dagnija from our club "Zemu lidojoši suņi" to go together. Because of different circumstances, we were the only Latvian representatives at the event.
Travel was easy as Aussies are friendly in general.

We arrived at some 11:15 and helped with field setup, dogs got their walk, set up tent, all the usual. Tested the field so the dogs know the enviroment.
Started some 10 min past 12:00 with Progress class (1/2 Toss & Fetch field) for beginers. I as usual was co-counting points.
The event had a lot of participants (for our region). SInce we can not participate any more in Progress... we were getting ready for the Open class.
It was wind! But for the start of the class it calmed down. We went first. Wunjo opened with 22 points. 5/6 catches. Cant complain.
Berkan went second and scored 18, could have done 5 catches, but... ok - 4 is ok.
Round two... well... that was a diffrenet story. Wunjo missed the first ... than 5... then missed next 4. yes, missed. Throws were perfect... got 4 at the last attempt... 9 points... could have been easy 44+. I screemed in silence. A lot :D
Berkan did better... 5 0 5 0 0 4.5... also just missed... still is not experianced enough to judge the moment when to jump after the disc. But he now can do stable 6 runs an that counts! At the end it laned them 4th and 5th place, Berkan beeing in front.

Bullsey next. We cant get past 30 points at events. At home we have done even 50+ runs. Wunjo messed up the drops... I did a lot fo running... ened up with 22. 11 throws... should have been at least 13-14... but ok :)
Berkan did better... also only 11 throws, but 8 catches and 2nd place. Yes, 32 landed us on podium (it was a bit windy).

Then came the distance. New format. Everyone gets 4 throws. Top 6 go to playoffs. Top 2 in semis, rest in quarter finals.
Wunjo did 62,5 and was 1st, Berkan did 55,3 on first attempt and I risked that it will be enough for playoffs and saved him the next runs. He got 2nd. So also streight in semis. Wunjo got to play the semis against Marius and Lucky, Berkan against Aldas and Sam.
Wunjo was up first, we were throwing on 1-1, 2-2, 3-3 basis. Lucky got 0, we too. then 53.8 against our 0, then 0 an dour last throw... all or nothing. 57! Wunjo is in finals.
Berkan managed to score 0-0-0... all of the shotw were over 50-55m... but we messed up. So that landed him 4th place... thats playoffs..
Final was against Aldas and Sam. 0-0, 0-0, 0-0... we were going at it all. Actualy at last shot since I was 2nd to throw, i tried a 10m throw, but Wunjo kicked the disc...
Sudden death throw off. Aldas again scored 0... we went for a normal throw of about 40m, and Wunjo got it at 37. Win for us. Was that exciting? YES! YES IT WAS!
All scores in the link above.
Dagnija managed to score 2nd place at distance... it was a game of survival as all of the ladies throwed quit chaotic to say at best :)

Overall? Great but with a pinch of frustraction of our performance. In stead of 2 podiums it could have been 4-5... but, motivates us to work more. A lot of new faces and noses, that showed promising results and were in front us of. Keep going!

Next month - The very first Estonian Dog Frisbee championships!

See pictures from the event here: https://www.facebook.com/DogFrisbeeBalticSeries

p.s. for close (up to some 25m)...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxXDjdRseEU
eldberg

Postby eldberg » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:32 am

Estonian Dog frisbee Championship 2019 now has pased in history and goes down in history as one of Baltics best battles ever if not the best for the overall title!

Points are counted from 3 distciplines: Open, Distance and Bullseye. Open and Distance as classic events give you more points. (standings for event here: https://tinyurl.com/ESTDF2019results )

We started with Open as always. Wind Wind and more strong Wind...
After round one Berkan was in front, followed by Wunjo and Barsas, not so far was Jete, Lucky, Merfis and Baylee

Second round... Well, Berkan fu__ up his attempt, local Salli understood how to pick up points, and did ok, Merfis did ok, Lucky imporved... Wunjo managed to not catch the last disc, so did Jete... both could have won the Open class, but Romualdas did the best and with solid effort Barsas won the class. Wind did not allow for great scores.

Bullseye - Merfis scored 40, Barsas also did ok, Karlis and Jete again let the win out of their hands (no catch in last 3 throws),now it was Wunjo turn to f___ up, Berkan also did not great, Vitalija and Baylee and Marius could have done better.
I actualy did not know who won till latter, so as we did not pick up any points in Bullseye for overall standings I knew that Overall title was now more for someone to lose than for us to win, since we were not in the drivers seat to say...

In retrospective, standings at that moment (that no one knew, including me)
Romualdas Urnežas and Barsas: 13+5 = 18
Kārlis and Jete = 8+4 = 12
Romualdas and Merfis = 3+8 = 11
Girts and Wunjo = 10+0 = 10
Marius Mincė and Lucky = 6+3 = 9

Distance... o boy... for us... Berkan could have gone straight in the semis, but he managed to miss the 55m catches.... and was left on 0. I had all ready set a training season with Vladislava Akimova, now we need it more than ever. Berkan was out of contention...
All of the top 5 at that moment were in 1/4 finals of mens distance, so it was still anyones game.
Merfis had to play 1/4 final against Lucky who set a good result of 50+m... and lost... so, Merfis was also now out.
Barsas was in semis, where he had to battle against Karlis and Jete. 3x 0 meant he was left to be in 4th place... That would have given them enough poitns to win if not a result 40cm short of 55m, as in that case you lose 2 points... so they had to wait for the outcome of the final.
Wunjo against Lucky was a repeat of LT Crazy Fox semis - against Lucky. Wunjo was with 2 no catches and Lucky had a very decent 50+m throw. She pulled out the last disc with 56+m... so it was Wunjo in finals against Jete, who started with 55m, Wunjo replied with 0, Jete did not improve with 51+, but Wunjo is still on 0. Last one for Jete is 0, but they still have 55m! Last chance... all or nothing... well I cant say 2nd place will be nothing, but... thats how it feels if you are lef with 0. We waited a bit for the wind to calm down.The disc went with decent altitude and speed, but was on verge to be a fast dropping one. Wunjo had hers speed and saved my nerves. She got it! 59+. I had said some terrible things before the throw in my mind... but at that moment I hust screemed. YES! We sat down on field to enjoy the moment. We had no idea how the points were to be rangeing, but we had done good on distance that was what mattered. If she had cought the last disc in Open (for what I had even given her 5second rest before throw) we surely would have won... now we had to go and calculate. Well, we had to calculate anyway, since i do the scrores :D

Overall: Wunjo 25 points, Jete 24 and Barsas 24.

Barsas missed out by 40cm, Lucky was one throw away in case Wunjo failed, Jete did not grab the last Open disc,Wunjo left it for the last effort...
Its now 5-6 dogs that now can win the whole event.
And 3-4 that are very close. This is getting interesting now :)

Maybe it was the cup that looked that nice. Ye, it definatly was! Thank you Marge Perri! Wunjo collectin is now full, she is the first to score all 3 Baltic titles: Latvia 2018, Lithuania 2018 and now Estonia 2019. Baltic champion? No, these are not shows, current #AnsuzCup holder is Jete and we need to do better than anyone at the last event to be best in Baltics!
eldberg

Postby eldberg » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:47 am

Our trip to Russia Dog Frisbee Championship 2019 - Part 1

Initially I had a plan to visit 3 RUS Cup events, the last being the RUS CH... but life makes changes, and RUS legislation too. Berkan had rabies vaccination for 3 years... but that was not legal in RUSSIA... so... we skipped the cup events.

We had arranged someone to look after our house and kids and the plan was to go to RUS on Friday, early in the morning, but the first problem struck allready on Thursday... while showing our babysitter how to feed the dogs I did not close the food bucket lid strong enough... Wunjo took full advantage of that... in the next 36h till the event she did the No2 like 9 times... But thats not all.
When we arrived at the border, it was some 30 cars in front of us... LV side had reconstruction works and RUS was just inspecting everything carefully... in total we spent 5h... that was annoying. There is real difference between LV-RUS border and EST-RUS... the last one works much better! We were suggested to use other crossing when we come back... suggested... When arriving at Moscow, we hit the KAD traffic jam... it was all ready 23:00.... 4-6 full lines... nice. Arrived at the hotel at 23.30. I am now not sure if we got ripped or not... booking.com was showing that the price for 2 nights in total is 60, turned out its 120 EUR. I checked again... when the site shows price for 2 days it shows the amount in total... so... anyone can comment?
Basically went to sleep to get up early... well at 8.00 since I wanted to see how Bullseye is played in RUS and Wunjo had to do more No2 before hers starts... Event was supposed to start at 9.00, it started at 9.40+... Of course nothing bad happened because of that, but I like order. Did some practice shots, was doing ok. I was not expecting much from the Open (SPTF). Wunjo on the first round scored 3 catches (2 were out of bounds, so we scored 1)... apparently there is difference in the rules we use... my bad. Does not matter 5 or 13 points, since with that score we were way of top 6 on what we could have counted if we had at least 20. Berkan actually did better and scored some 13ish points (not sure how many). Then there was a break of almost 4h, since novice classes were played (in total about 150 teams were entered for 2 days). I can say that I did not do the best throws for Wunjo. It was better for Berkan, but ye... not my best performance too... Round two... we did better with Wunjo... but she still missed some shots. Again sot sure how much we scored, but it was 4 catches, and she missed the last one. Darn. Berkan was doing ok (I missed the first one), and if he had grabbed the last one, we would have had a really nice round 2. He had very nice jumps, people liked his style. AFter the Open, we quickly did some Distance practice shots.. and the field has a nice energy as to say... I was throwing 65+m. Was nice. So... Stay tooned for part 2 (and maybe 3)

A, ye… I was filming… try to find out of you got caught in the video too:
https://www.youtube.com/user/eldberg/videos
eldberg

Postby eldberg » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:28 pm

Before day two, day one was ended with my birthday celebrations. Cheers to my wife Sandra and Pavel and Tatiana. Nice burgers, Red Square and nightly Moscow.

Day two... did not start as good as it could as I got stuck in the hotel elevator... at least the dogs were not in it, since the alarm also was going in full and it was ripping my ears...

Got to the field, tried some distance shots with out dogs (since no dogs on the field). It was going great actually. Got way past 75m. Sergey Gurov was throwing at the same time. He got only like 5m further +/-. Some were closer... I was feeling really great. I know Wunjo is able to run 70+, and the training shots all were straight...
Helped with the women event judging a bit and it was mens turn. It was actually only 6 of us, since 3 entries did not show up. Well, who cares, we are here and we are ready. I guess I was 2nd to go with Wunjo... I usually go first with Berkan, but a draw is a draw. The guy before me made 3 no scores... that were followed by 3 no scores by me... Wunjo did hers job, but the first 2 were just going right and the dog had no chance to catch, the third was to the left and I cant blame Wunjo for that one either. They were 60+, but... my fail... Russian system consists of 3+1 shots, so we had at least one more chance. Next was Gurov with his second dog... he did 80ish, the next one did some 50+, and it was Berkan turn... We did 55ish... and I had to shout at him at the last shot a bit so he would not go for the WC break...
Last chance... I did a shot that Wunjo could not get again... I was not nervous, but I just wanted to do a 60+ throw... I overdid with the shot... I actualy remember going a bit blank for the shot, like not coordinating it correctly. Just mechanically doing the shot and that is it... it was 60+, but it was just a bad throw... so... Wunjo was left with out a medal. Gurov improved to 80+ with his second dog, so Berkan was now in 3rd or 4th place. Others did not improve... and Berkan refused to run after the last throw...
After a bit of wait, we got the 3rd place by 1 meter. We went for a medal, we got it, but not in the style as we wanted. Especially when you for once feel that you are close to one of the European leaders... medal is not a fail, but the execution from my side was a fail.

Overall I am very glad hat we visited the event. I know that we are in top3 in Baltics, but our neighbors are just a level up. Even with our PB in Open, we would had been only in top6. With Ansuz best of 45.5 we would have been in medals, but that is history, I have not trained a new 45+ dog. We are where we are. So... we need to improve. A lot. That means just more practice. Lots of it. We can throw 70m, but not or regular basis... if we are to beat those who are better, we need to throw 75 and then we have a chance at a 70+m game.
Overall I can give Wunjo a score of 6, Berkan a score of 7 and myself something in between 4-5 out of 10 for this championship. This time I was the weak link :)

For others - go to events, backyard training scores is one thing, competitions are the only place to see how to improve your game. I saw a lot of new things regarding the throw technique, new info on discs and some other small but valuable tricks.
eldberg

Return to Blogs